Every year, like clockwork, when the first breeze of crisp cool air hits my face, I immediately get the craving for a warm and soothing pumpkin spice latte. Well, living in the south it probably happens long before that. When the calendar switches from August to September (no matter what the weather), you’ll find me stalking out the coffee shops for the announcement of its release. The good news is coffee shop pumpkin spice lattes can be made at home.
There’s just something about the mixture of spices and warm milk that feels s welcoming as a cozy hug or a familiar sweater. In fact, over the years, this drink has gained such a cult following that you’d be hard pressed to find a coffee shop anywhere that hasn’t concocted their own variation of this super seasonal treat.
It wasn’t too long after my own addiction started that I realized my Pumpkin Spice Latte habit practically competed with my monthly car payment. To ease the guilt of my “decadent but not so cheap pleasure”, I begin searching online for the perfect Pumpkin Spice Latte Recipe.
I wanted a recipe that would lessen the burden on my wallet, but also soothe my cravings. During my quest, I tried many different options. Some were overly complex and had me practically spending the whole morning crafting a single drink (satisfying, but too complex). Others were overly simple, like just adding a pumpkin flavored syrup to my regular cup of coffee (not satisfying enough!). A good coffee shop pumpkin spice latte recipe (with froth) is worth knowing.
Unsurprisingly, none of them quite hit the sweet spot I desired and I’d always find myself going back to the coffee shop to enjoy the perfect pumpkin spice latte taste with the convenience of the smiling barista making it for me.
Not one to give up though, I still kept trying to master the recipe at home and finally I found what I believe to be the closest duplicate you can make to the pricey coffee shop goodness. My discovery of the humble milk frother helped. This recipe is simple enough to make at home in less than 10 minutes, and yet tasty and frothy enough to compete with even the most high-end coffee shop.
So if you’re like me and looking to impress friends and family by acquiring the delicious flavor of a coffee shop latte, you can easily recreate this beloved favorite in your own home using just a few simple, choice ingredients.
The simple recipe I outline below is what I truly think is the most delicious pumpkin spice latte recipe around! In no time your friends and family will be stopping by your door for their daily frothed fix.
Table of Contents
Fabulous Milk Frother Pumpkin Spice Latte Recipe
Active Time: 10 minutes
- 2 tablespoons canned pumpkin puree (do NOT use canned pumpkin pie filling, it is a completely different ingredient). I like to use organic whenever possible.
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice (Again, I like to use organic, if possible)
- 1.5 tablespoons granulated sugar (If you like it a little sweeter, you can use up to 2 tablespoons. I prefer a little less sweetness)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole milk (you want to make sure that you’re using whole milk for this recipe, as I find that lower fat milks do not froth as well)
- Cinnamon (optional)
- Whipped Cream (optional)
- 1-2 shots of prepared espresso coffee (use more or less, depending on your preference for strength). I prefer 2 shots of espresso, but I like a more strong coffee taste in my latte. You can either brew your espresso fresh with an espresso machine, or use an instant espresso.
- Your favorite coffee mug
Simple Steps to Pumpkin Spice Latte Perfection
- Using a medium saucepan over medium heat, whisk together the pumpkin puree and the pumpkin pie spice. Cook together for about 2 to 3 minutes. Make sure that the pumpkin pie spice has completely dissolved into the puree.
- Next, add both the sugar and the vanilla extract. Continue to cook the mixture over medium heat, mixing it continuously, until it has thickened. This step takes about 2 minutes. Keep the heat a medium to medium-low temperature to ensure that it does not get to a boil.
- Whisk in the milk and continue to stir and cook until it has fully heated through. This step will take about 4-5 minutes.
- After the milk has warmed, it is time to make it into a frothy goodness of a topping for your latte. I love a lot of thick froth! Using a handheld frother/stand alone frother or the frother on your espresso machine, froth the milk until it is your desired foamy texture. Your froth should be light and airy, but still thick enough to hold its shape well. A thin froth will just be a disappointment!
- Pour your frothed pumpkin-flavored milk over your prepared espresso shots. Use your favorite mug– it always tastes better that way!
- For an extra special treat, add a bit of whipped cream to the top and finish with a sprinkle of cinnamon.
Extra Tips For Coffee Shop Pumpkin Spice Latte Recipe (With Froth)
To enhance your latte even more, try some of these additional tips:
- Garnish your latte with a cinnamon stick or a whole vanilla bean.
- Double the recipe to make one to share, or to save for later and pour over ice!
- Freeze any of the unused pumpkin puree in an ice cube tray to easily retrieve perfect portions each time you want to make another delicious latte.
- Make your own homemade whipped cream to put on top for an extra special treat.
- Use pumpkin flavored coffee instead of espresso for a milder taste with even more pumpkin flavor.
- Drizzle some caramel or white chocolate syrup over the top of your whipped cream for an extra decadent treat
Now, sit back and savor your frothy fall beverage, easily made by you! You might never want to visit your neighborhood coffee shop again and your friends and family will surely thank you too.
Oh, and who says that the milk frother pumpkin spice latte recipe is just for fall? No judgement here if you use this recipe all year long, In fact, you’ll find me making my Pumpkin Spice Latte is the spring, summer, winter, and fall. You may even find me sipping one over ice while playing pool in July. Enjoy!
- Read: Coffee Shop Vanilla Latte Recipe
- Another great recipe: Gingerbread latte
- You may like: 7 Best Rechargeable Milk Frothers
- Try: Best Milk Frothers Buyers Guide
- Read about a 19 bar espresso machine: Lafeeca Espresso Machine 19 Bar Review (With Milk Frother)